I warned ya’ll that I had a flattop ilex in the works. Here’s how it came to be:
In the beginning, we had some small yamadori that needed collecting.
T’were growing amidst the roots of a mighty live oak and friend Nick called me hither and said
“do ya wanna get ’em?”
Growing in the roots of the oak, the ilex’s own roots were not very good (greedy oak). I didn’t actually expect the ilex to live. I was subsequently loathe to cut them back too much. We collected maybe 5 or 6 I think. He kept the better ones and I got what was left.
Here we are now.
My original plan was to let it grow and then stub it back to make a little pig (that’s a true bonsai style…look it up)
But….after looking at it for a year or so, I have a plan….
Which you might know already if you paid attention and read the title, I guess.
Anyway, I’m glad I did not cut it back to a nub.
I like this branch:
And before I get the emails about how loose the wire is, I did that on purpose. Look up Mary Miller (www.bonsaimary.com) and “air wiring”.
And we’re ready for a pot.
Those roots are very well developed. When I collected it, I used a bonsai soil based mix with a little more pine bark than usual; I guess that did the trick. I am terrifically tickled with these roots. Really.