Here was a favorite tree. Before the hurricane.
I wrote a full article three years ago in the popular post Haunted Hackberry.
Then we had Hurricane Irma.
Irma caused some trouble everywhere. In my backyard we had all kinds of damage, and not just to my little trees. But looking back as you go forward tends to cause you to trip and stumble in the journey.
Here’s the tree today.
It’s dormant, for winter, so that’s why it’s ragged looking. But the pic below shows the main damage (after some serious pruning)
I lost the whole top.
If you reread the above linked post, I go through a whole thesis on why I chose the front I did.
Now, I need to choose a new front.
This ain’t it….
Nor this….it could be, but there’s a better one.
Right around here was the original front, give or take a degree. In picking a new front, there’s definitely some editing of branching that needed to occur.
And movement in the pot, of course. I think this is gonna work.
The root spread is pretty well radially spreading from this view:
I had to cut back and wire a new top:
And yes, that is a pot made of LEGOs. It was a gift from a gentleman in the Tampa area, named Lyle. Thank you sir! I’m still looking for the right tree for it.
And that’s it. A new beginning for the tree, that’s why we are redux-ing.
And, just to brag on the species and how well it grows for development, here it is one week later:
All I need now is to protect it from the hurricanes.
And keep it watered. Maybe some wire here and there, a little pruning…..
You know…just do what I do.